Monday, September 16, 2013

Grandma's Peach Kuchen

I kept remembering Dad's mom making the best *Cottage Cheese Coffee Cake*!  But I could find no recipe that even came close.   Then I found Kuchen and started experimenting ... this is as close as I can remember and is just heavenly ... reminds me so much of Grandma!
She made hers in a round cake pan and I may do that next time ... here is the recipe.  I used my home canned Honey Cinnamon Peaches.  You could use any fruit.
 

2 1/4 cup flour
1/4 cup shortening (I used coconut oil)
1/2 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 TBS sugar
2 tsp yeast
1/2 cup warm water
2 egg yolks
1 cup canned coconut milk (or regular cream)
1 cup cottage cheese
1/2 tsp cinnamon
2 cups peaches - chopped or sliced (I used drained home canned Honey Cinnamon Peaches)

Mix yeast, water and 1 tsp sugar in a bowl and set aside.
Mix flour, shortening, sugar and 2 whole eggs.  Mix until crumbly then add yeast mix.
Knead for a few minutes then cover and set in a warm place to rise for 1 hour.
Grease a 9x9 pan.  Turn oven to 350.  
Pat mix into the pan and up the sides a bit. Bake for 15 minutes.
Mix the 2 egg yokes, cream, cottage cheese and cinnamon.
Put peaches over baked crust.  Pour the cream mix over peaches.
Bake 30 - 40 minutes until topping is firm and set.  Enjoy warm or cold.

I remember loving the apple with brown sugar one too!  Maybe even more then the peach ... you could use any fruit fresh or canned (drained).
Enjoy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment