Friday, October 15, 2010

Home made summer sausage

Hi everyone ... today I am making summer sausage rolls!  If I have wild meat like Elk or Deer, I prefer to use that ... but, since we do not hunt and have had no offers of meat ... I am using lean hamberger and ground turkey!  These are a lean and healthy choice to what is available in the stores. I will freeze the rolls after I am finished.  They make very wonderful snacks or presents!
Here is the recipe I am using today.  It often depends on what spices I feel like adding!

HAMBERGER/TURKEY SUMMER SAUSAGE
3 pounds hamberger
2 pounds ground turkey (breast)
4 tsp black pepper (1 tsp. can be whole peppers if you like)
1 TBSP sugar (I used one packet of stevia)
1 3/4 tsp Salt Cure
1/2 tsp cayenne (red pepper)
1 tsp whole mustard seeds
2 tsp garlic salt (you can used minced if you prefer - 1 tsp)
1 cup water

Place meats in a large mixing bowl, combine spices and mix well before adding to meat.
Add spices to meat and 1 cup of water.  Mix all well together ... get your hands in there
and mix!  Cover and refrigerate 12 hours or over night.
Divide the mixture into 5 or six balls.  Shape each ball into a log. 
Place on a broiler pan so the grease drips off.  Bake at 200 degrees for about 8 hours.
Let cool.  I always papertowel off the outside a bit to remove any grease that might have
accumulated.  Place in individual freezer bags, leaving one out to slice up and eat!
Enjoy!  Here is a picture
of the fresh from the oven.

1 comment:

  1. Ohhhh my.....this makes my mouth water....even with the stomach flu!! I can't wait to try this Reet! So nice to know I can pop by here and grab some of the recipes you share.....I love you so much :)

    ReplyDelete